Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Chaminade vs. Hot Cross Buns

Today, as I wrapped up class with my 4th graders, we had about 5 minutes left before it was time for them to be back in class. This happens from time to time and when it does, sometimes I'll play my flute for them. (I think it's important that they be exposed to all different kinds of music and most of them will never see a symphony so I do what I can to fill in that gap.)

So, I got out a piece that I've played many times before and I can play pretty well with out much practice. I played the first page of the Concerto for Flute and Orchestra by Cecile Chaminade. This piece is rather technically difficult and a pretty important piece of music in the realm of flute literature. So, I busted out a less-than-perfect-but-still-respectable rendition of the Chaminade Concerto.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself. My students were clapping. I was mentally patting my own back when one of my 4th graders raises her hand and asks "Can you play Hot Cross Buns?"

At which point I surrendered and took them back to class. Sigh. Only in small town Texas.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, can you?
Linda

Stubbed My Toe said...

I'd like to request "The Wheels on the Bus".

Anonymous said...

If you are taking requests, how about "It's A Small World After All". Kind of a catchy tune.
Linda

Anonymous said...

How about Ninety Nine Bottles?

~the ten of us~ said...

I also want to know... can you? Don't leave us hanging!!

~the ten of us~ said...

Ok ... I will ask ... Where oh where are you???