Saturday, January 10, 2009

SP Day 79

"Wa-mee do!"

This has become a frequently repeated declarative statement in our home. He really wants to do so many things for himself. He wants to tie his own shoes, zip his own coat, and feed himself. These things are totally expected. It's the things he wants to do that I don't expect that just make me laugh.

Today he wanted to clean some spilled coffee in the kitchen floor. I handed him the rag and said okay. He put the rag on the floor and instead of using his hands, did what he's no doubt seen us do. He used his foot to push the towel around on the floor. I just about cracked up.

He saw me sending a text message tonight. The next thing I know he's pulling my phone and I hear the familiar "Wa-mee do." He wants to lock the doors, feed the dogs, push the basket, dust the furniture, brush the cats, and just about every other thing he's seen us do.

I mentioned in my last post that he's making connections. This has been so much fun. Tonight he pulled two plastic fish out of his toy box that he hasn't played with since he was less than a year old. He pulls them out and tells me "Clown fish." Surely enough, they are clown fish. He's seen "Finding Nemo" like twice and I've never pointed out that those are "clown fish" but he made that connection.

I found him in the kitchen last night squatted down next to his tricycle. I asked him what he was doing. "Put gas in car." He knows that you've got to put gas in your car to go somewhere and he wanted to go somewhere on his tricycle so he needed gas.

Recently, I find my self asking him frequently, "Where did you learn that?" He just grins and goes on doing his thing. I just love watching him become smarter and smarter and beginning to use his imagination in his play.

What a great little guy.

4 comments:

~the ten of us~ said...

How fun!!! (and at times a little frustrating :o)

Jacqulyn said...

Girl, this is only the beginning. Rachel will be 4 in April, and we are still cracked up by the things she does that we have done!!! LOVE YA!!!

Jackie

Anonymous said...

He sounds like such a cutie! And growing up so fast!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

he sounds like so much fun! That has been my favorite age. so cute!