Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SP Day 82

Any of you who know me very well know that I am a true fan of the "Harry Potter" books. I have read all 7 of them at least twice. Some of them more than that. The series is so well written that it truly takes you into another world. After reading all of those, I've had a hard time finding good books that really keep my attention.
(I know. My reading selections are to literature what Paula Abdul is to American Idol. Entertaining but insignificant.)

So, several of the women I work with are reading the "Twilight" books. A series of 4 "vampire" books the first of which was recently made into a movie. I had no interest in these books because I just don't read vampire books or watch vampire movies or really give a crap about vampires in general.

All the girls were talking in the lounge one day about the "Twilight" books and I said I wasn't interested in reading them because I really had no interest in a vampire book. (I'm sure my tone was rather condescending.) This led to a discussion about the Harry Potter books and I told everyone that Ben had made fun of me for reading them and so I told him to read the first book and if he didn't like it, he could make fun of me all he wanted. Ben has read all 7 books and loves them ALMOST as much as I do. Well, I opened my mouth.

The next morning one of the women who is reading the "Twilight" books brings me the first book and says "Read the first book and if you don't like it you can make fun of vampire books all you want."

I read the book in 3 days. OMG! What an awesomely written book. I finished it on my lunch hour today. I went by Wal-Mart after work today and picked up the second book. I can't even begin to explain how well the author pulls you in to the story. I HAD to have the second book to read when I go to bed tonight.

Speaking of which, I'm off to read another "stupid vampire book" and probably enjoy every minute of it.

5 comments:

snarflemarfle said...

Awesome! My sis got me these books for my birthday (well, only the first two since those are out in paperback) and I haven't started them yet. I really need to finish that last Harry Potter book. I got to the article written by whats-her-face about Dumbledore and I just couldn't read anymore...

Jacqulyn said...

I will bring you 4 on Sat. I have them all, but my brother has 2 & 3 and I fear you will finish 2 before I can get it back. I LOVE THEM TOO!!!! It was SAD when it was over.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I'm like you were. I have no interest in reading this series. Looks like I should give that a second thought and pick up the first book.
Lisa

MJS said...

Jackie~
I've already got 3 and 4 borrowed so I'm in good shape. Thanks for the offer.

Martha~
I would highly recommend finishing book 7 THEN starting the Twilight series. You'll be glad you did both. I had just finished REreading 7 when I started Twilight.

Lisa~
Definitely worth it. Once you get started on the first book, you won't be able to stop.

~the ten of us~ said...

I just recently heard about the books, it was actually the movie I heard about first. Then someone pointed out it was based on a book.

I get scared and have nightmares easily and since I read mostly right before bed, not sure that would be a good idea. Maybe that is why I like books about the Amish ... no potential nightmares there :o)