Friday, December 5, 2008

SP Day 53

I have two exciting things to blog about today.

1. While searching for a job that I had been told was going to be coming open I found an awesome job opportunity. An elementary in Weatherford has a counselor position available immediately. If I were able to get a counseling job, I would have enough of a pay increase that Ben could take a lesser paying job and we would still be okay. This would be the biggest blessing our family could ask for.

There is one potential snafu. It could be a good thing, or a bad thing. I interviewed for a music teacher position at this same school this summer. I was offered the job and turned it down. So either the principal could hold it against me that I turned down a job she offered me, or she could look at it like I was a good teacher and a good fit for her campus, maybe the same will hold true in the counselor position. (I know that's a huge run on sentence, I apologize sincerely Dr. Miller.)

2. The most awesome thing happened at work today. I have a 4th grade student with multiple disabilities. Some of them genetic, some of them due to neglect as an infant, and some of them unexplained. He has severe musculoskeletal problems. He's not much taller than William. He has no muscle tone to speak of. He's also, for the most part, non-verbal. When he came to my school in the 2nd grade, he was completely wheelchair bound. His therapists last year got him walking with a walker. The special needs teacher brought him in my room today and said she had something to show me. He walked all the way across my room completely unassisted. He's 10 years old and walked for the first time today. I picked him up and hugged him and told him how proud I was of him with tears running down my face. What a special guy. Now, if that's not a good day at work, I just can't imagine what would be.

3 comments:

~the ten of us~ said...

Those are some really cool positives!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a super day to me.
Linda

snarflemarfle said...

Awesome and Awesomer!!