Friday, December 19, 2008

SP Day 64

Lesson for today: Humility, Kindness, Understanding

Yep, today was one of those days that made me take a step back and think "Wow, I need to be a better person."

Part 1 of my story. We had our "Chinese Christmas" gift exchange at our faculty Christmas party yesterday. For a period of time I had this beautiful red glass lantern in a metal holder with a snowflake design. I lost it to someone else and wound up with a watch that just didn't do much for me.

Part 2 of my story. There is a teacher whom I work with that I don't have much patience for. She's very scattered. Frequently doesn't know what's going on even though she's been told several times. She frequently leaves her class unattended. She's ALWAYS pulling kids out of my room because she has a hard time taking care of all of her business during the time she has. I am often angry or frustrated with this woman. I have another good friend at work who does get along with her and tells me frequently that the teacher in question has a really good heart and tries very hard to do a good job. I've just always believed that my friend was naive to this woman's true character.

Part 3 of my story. Oh, my, how quickly God can put us in our place and we never, ever see it coming. This morning, at the beginning of morning assembly, the scatter brained teacher brought me a gift bag. I assumed it was a small gift from her two children. Something along the lines of as small ceramic figurine that I usually get from my students. After assembly was over I opened the bag and found the beautiful red snowflake lantern that I had given up so begrudgingly yesterday. I felt about half an inch tall when I pulled that out of the bag. Not only had she given me a beautiful gift, she'd paid attention yesterday and among the 39 people present at the gift exchange, she'd noticed how much I loved that lantern. And, she thought enough about me to give me a gift for Christmas.

I hope that this is a lesson that will stick with me and that I will treat not only her, but everyone with a little more patience and a lot more kindness in the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great story. I have a feeling that that present will have special meaning to you for years to come.
Linda